Saturday, September 5, 2009

Eric Draven's Water Tower

I remember as a young kid driving by this water tower with my family. I remember for years and years there was a large piece of graffiti on the side of the tower that resembled Eric Draven from the movie The Crow. Not even sure if that's what the painting was supposed to be, but from the street I'd see the tower from, that's exactly what it looked like. The graffiti was eventually painted over and I'd forgotten about the tower. I thought about it recently and decided that was Dark Ascents next task. We got to our location around midnight and walked the perimeter of the fence for the best way over the double angled barbed wire. We read signs saying motion sensor fences and video surveillance in progress, but found a small gap where we could slide under the fence without disturbing it and setting off alarms. We hit the ladder to this 180ft tower around 12:30 and sat atop the tank around 12:45. We basked in the heat of the active radio transmitters 5 feet away from us as we took in our view. I pulled my camera out, snapped a few shots, and we headed back down the ladder towards the ground below us. We hit the ground around 1:45 and both snapped shots of this tower from every available angle. Another successful climb and another childhood dream finally met.























No comments: